Kids, crafts, country life and more...

This is what you get when you mix two toddlers, two border collies, a Shetland pony, two cats, a gaggle of turkeys, a former construction worker, a former lawyer and the family cattle ranch. Thanks for visiting. All images copyrighted. Do not use any text or image without permission.







Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Little Readers

I was at a curriculum night at the kids school and a parent volunteer from Clyde's class said he'd been reading to her.  I had no idea he was trying to read, so I was a little surprised (and slightly embarrassed for being out of touch).  I asked him if he could read and he said no.  Then I got out the "BOB Books" which are super easy beginning readers and sat down with him.  He carefully and deliberately sounded out, "S-a-m.  M-a-t.  S-a-m s-a-t."  Pretty soon Alice picked up on and started reading it fluently, "Sam sat on Mat."  It was astounding to me.  Clyde is a lot further along in terms of phonics and understanding, but Alice is actually reading.  I couldn't believe it.  She's very excited about reading.  I'm so happy to have readers.  Reading has been a constant in my life.  Books have been my friends.  Even in college and law school when I was swamped with required reading, I read lots of books for fun.  It's wonderful to think of my kids being able to share in my joy of books. 

I love their Montessori school.  Here's Alice, looking like a little scholar, studying the life cycle of frogs.  Two weeks ago I would've thought she was totally pretending to read that book, but now I don't know!

No comments:

Post a Comment